Friday, August 16, 2013

Day 18-Inspiration

I've lost 15 lbs in 18 days.

You want to talk about inspiration? Take a guy, getting closer and closer to 40 with every breath. A guy who, what feels like a couple years ago, but in reality was 15 years ago, was a world-class professional athlete. That guy has seen the scale yo yo year in and year out.  One day, this guy decides enough is enough. Enough of the bullshit, enough of the excuses and enough of the quick fixes. This guy decides that he's gonna make the final life decision to get back where he belongs, once and for all.  In shape, presentable and proud to look in the mirror.

That guy is me. 

For 18 days, I've been disciplined, I've been focused and I've been damn near perfect in what I set out to do. The results are there. I'm putting in the time.  I will continue to put in the time and the effort. Regardless of what situations are around me or affecting me, I will no longer allow my health and fitness to be put on the back burner. It's not a diet, it's not a quick fix, I'm not watching a commercial telling me that they have a 60 day "cure-all," I'm changing my life. For the betterment of myself, for the betterment of my kids and for the betterment of the love of my life and my best friend.

You want inspiration?  You're not gonna see it in pictures, stories, blogs or posts on a message board.  You'd see it if you were in my living room at 6 in the morning.  You'd see it if you watched me at lunchtime when everyone of my co-workers is scarfing down the crap I used to put in my body. You'd see it when I put on clothes that used to be tight that are now getting too big.  You'd have seen it last night when I worked my overnight shift, having to pull my jeans up because even with my belt on the last loop, they were falling down all night.

Some people talk the talk.  Some people take a short portion of the walk. And then there are the few of us. The very miniscule few that are completely committed. We have one thing in common for sure, the person we look to when we press play. The one of many tools that we use to do what we set out to do. We all come from different walks of life, have different stories and different reasons for doing what we do, but we do it for the same reason.....we're committed.

This blog is here to document my journey. It isn't the fanciest, I'm not posting a lot of videos with graphics and intros. I'm not doing it for anyone else.  If I end up inspiring anyone else along the way, AWESOME.  But in this journey, I have to be selfish. I have to do it for the reasons that I have, not for anything else. So, when I look for inspiration, I don't need to look any further than my own household.  My love, my kids and my mirror. That's my inspiration. And it's more than enough for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment